Applying for a Canadian Visa

Canadian Flag


Before you apply for your Study Permit or visitor visa, you must have:

  • A valid passport
  • A letter of acceptance from a Canadian school, proof that you have enough money to support yourself for your entire stay in Canada
  • A letter from your sponsoring organization if you are being sponsored
  • A medical clearance, if required •CAN$125 for the application fee

Financial Support

You must be able to prove you can support yourself before a Study Permit may be issued. A letter from your bank in your country and a written pledge of financial support from a parent will show immigration officials that you can afford your expenses while you are in Canada. These expenses include tuition, homestay, transportation, medical insurance, personal needs and return trips home.

Character Reference

To be accepted by Canadian officials, you must prove you are a responsible person with no criminal record. You may be asked to provide evidence of this through your local authorities.

Health Standards

You must be in good health. You may be asked for a medical certificate if you have been living in a country with a high health risk.


When you have all the letters and documents, you may apply for your Study Permit at the nearest Canadian consulate, embassy or high commission. The Study Permit allows you to study in Canada. Keep it in your passport.


You might be asked to see an immigration officer for an interview. One purpose of the interview is to help the immigration officer evaluate you personally. The immigration officer will want to confirm that you have enough money to study in Canada, and that you will return to your home country when your course is completed. Therefor, you should be well-dressed, well-groomed, and on time when you go for your interview. You should behave in a positive and polite manner, even if the immigration officer does not. You should never lie to an immigration officer.


The application fee for a Study Permit is CAN$125. You must submit this with your application.

Passports and Visas

You will need a passport and perhaps a visa as well. Canadian officials in your country can explain this to you before you leave. The Canada Visitors Visa is affixed to a page of your passport. It tells you the date you must arrive in Canada, the length of time you can stay and whether it is valid for one or more entries into Canada. When you arrive in Canada, you must show immigration officials your passport and visa. The passport will be stamped with the date you must depart from Canada. Check that this date is valid for your whole stay. If you need more time, ask someone at Vancouver English Centre to help you apply.