Canada Temporary Resident Visas Exemptions

Downtown Vancouver is on the edge of English Bay

People from some countries do not need Temporary Resident Visas (visitor visas) to visit Canada. These are listed below.

Please note that this list is dated February 8th, 2005. It is Subject to change at any time. For an updated list, visit the site of

Citizenship & Immigration Canada.


Temporary Resident Visa Exemptions

People from the following countries DO NOT require a visa to enter Canada:
AndorraHungaryPapua New Guinea
Antigua and BarbudaIcelandPoland
AustriaIsrael (National Passport holders only)St. Kitts and Nevis
BahamasItalySt. Lucia
BarbadosJapanSt. Vincent
BelgiumKorea (Republic of)San Marino
BotswanaLatvia (Republic of)Singapore
CroatiaLiechtensteinSolomon Islands
GermanyNew ZealandUnited States
GreeceNorwayWestern Samoa
Visitors also do not need visa to enter Canada if
  • they are from the United States with a valid alien registration card (Green card) or can show other evidence of permanent residence;
  • they are British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom;
  • they are citizens of British dependent territories who get their citizenship through birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands;
  • they are from Hong Kong and possess a valid British National (Overseas) Passport issued by the Government of the United Kingdom
  • they are from Hong Kong and possess a valid and subsisting Special Administrative Region passport issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China;
  • they are holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See.
For detail information, please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Countries and territories requiring visas

Study Permits in Canada

Visitors to Canada require Study Permits ( student visas ) if they want to study in

Canada longer than six months.  You can learn more about which students require

Study Permits here.