Obtaining a Canadian Student Authorization (Student Visa) in Seattle

Canadian Flag

International visitors should obtain STUDENT AUTHORIZATIONS if they plan to study in Canada for more than three months. If a student comes to Canada to study at VEC on a TOURIST VISA and then decides to extend their stay for longer than three months, a STUDENT AUTHORIZATION is required. This cannot be done in Canada. It is usually easiest to go to the Canadian Consulate in Seattle.

To apply for a student authorization, you need all of the following:

  1. Letter of Acceptance from VEC.
  2. A Valid Passport.
  3. Proof of Financial Stability. This can be any of the following: a statement from a Canadian bank showing the funds in the student's bank account; a statement from a bank in the student's home country showing the funds in that account as long as it is accessible from Canada; a letter from the student's parent stating (in English) that the parent is financially responsible for the student, included with another letter from the parent's bank showing financial stability; or traveler's cheques (not suggested).
  4. $125 in Canadian cash.
  5. It is also a good idea to get a letter from the Homestay Family (if there is one) stating that the student is living at that address. This is not always necessary but students must know their full address including postal code.
  6. $6.00 in US funds for payment at the border. Sometimes this is not necessary but bring it just in case.
  7. Two passport sized photos (just in case - sometimes they are required)